Veterans Service Office
Volunteer Van Driver
This service can involve long, but rewarding days, and it can make a huge difference in the life of a veteran.
Many vets have no way to get to VA medical facilities for needed treatment. They may live a great distance from a VA hospital, they may be on a fixed income and the cost of transportation to a VA hospital is just too high, and/or they have no other resources for transportation.
Medical appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We ask our Veterans to try and make their appointments between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. so our drivers can be back in the valley early afternoon and not late evening. Volunteers interested in this assignment would need to be available to drive during one of those days and times. Volunteer drivers can serve on a regularly assigned day or on an "on-call" basis. This is a very important volunteer assignment as it helps to ensure that veterans who need transportation are able to attend scheduled medical appointments.
To volunteer to drive the Shoshone County Veterans Services Van, the process includes:
- Fill out Shoshone County Application for voluntary service;
- Complete Shoshone County Authorization for Release of Information;
- Hold a valid Idaho drivers license;
- Go on a ride-along with one of our other drivers to observe the procedure;
- Get your Volunteer Veteran Driver ID Card, and you are good to go!!